Saturday, February 24, 2007

No one can change the world


A mural in the staircase of the uptown bound C/E train station at Spring St. NYC.

"This is a tear jerker:


...Yo, I heard it said the revolution won't be televised/
but in the land of milk and honey, there's a date you got to sell it by/
otherwise it just expires and spoils/
and these folks jump out the pot when the water's too hot/
'cause the fire boils, inside/
you go to church to find some religion/
and all you hear is conniving and gossiping and contradiction and/
you try to vote and participate in the government/
and the motherfucking democrats is acting like republicans/
you join an organization that know black history/
but ask them how they plan to make money and it's a mystery/
looking for the remedy but you can't see what's hurting you/
the revolution is here, the revolution is personal/
they call me the political rapper even after I tell them I don't fuck with politics/
I don't even follow it/
I'm on some KRS, Ice Cube, Chris Wallace shit/
Main Source, De La Soul pumping 2pacalypse, now!

The Revolution's here, no one can lead you off your path
you try to change the world, so please excuse me while I laugh...

Yo, I speak in schools a lot cause they say I'm intelligent/
no, it's 'cause I'm dope, if I was wack I'd be irrelevant/
I'm like the dope in your tracks until your high is settled in/
you leaning to the left and laughter is the best medicine/
but the trouble you have today, you just can't laugh away/
stay optimistic thinking change is going to come like Donnie Hathaway/
you have to pray and on top of that act today/
'cause opportunities shrivel away like Tom Hanks in Castaway/
everybody passed away, the pastor pray, the family mourning/
everybody act according to the season that they're born in/
we fight in the street and start bleeding 'till the blood is pouring/
in the gutter mothers cry to the lord we living by the sword and/
all the folks want is safety, they going gun crazy/
same reason Reagan was playing war games in the eighties/
same reason I always rock dog chains of my babies/
the struggle is beautiful, I'm too strong for your slavery!"


Talib Kweli, the Beautiful Struggle

Today I'm Feeling:

Inspired

What's on my mind? Comments?

No comments: