Friday, April 2, 2010

Au Revoir, Aloha


My mother just asked me to keep her 70th birthday, tomorrow, a secret.

Up at camp, the May schedule is already christening our dry erase board. My departure date is up there and it spooked me a little something. Just when I'm settling into my groove it's time to up my moors and hit the friendly skies. I'm not exactly George Clooney in Up In The Air, wait, I'm not exactly George Clooney, but life on the road is my kinda life. It pains me to be a nomad and always worry about not being happy while being still. But moving is exhilarating. Focus!

And I do like the kids! Go figure. Here's the biggest thing though; the kids actually like me. That's it! A discovery. I've applied to teach youngsters how to ride bikes in New York over the summer. Might have to see that through. But not before I drive cross country. Ask me what country. What country, you ask? Canada! That's right. It looks like I may just get the opportunity to drive a Camry from Vancouver to Toronto before finding another means of transport onwards to Montreal to get my car.

And the summer has already promised me Bonnaroo and Rifflandia 3! Generally speaking, spirits are on the uptick. May and June are going to be helluva great times. I hope I don't lose my shirt trying to keep my wheels spinning.

Great experience; yesterday we did a program at Camp Mokule'ia. When we finished, I swiped a low hanging coconut off a tree and brought it back to Timberline. There I spent perhaps 15 minutes husking this thing to get to about 16 ounces of coconut water and jelly. Well worth it! Food is work. Life is fodder for memories. It's all about the memories.

1 comment:

C.Shari said...

Hope all is well with you.
-Killa :)