Sunday, July 29, 2007

butter... 'cause I'm on a roll



So I was watching the television with the mother bear. CNN or something as per the usual. Then I saw this poignant commercial where a father explains the birds and the bees using a pastry. But this was no regular pastry. No. It was a Pillsbury crescent roll. But when I saw it, I immediately thought croissant. But crescent roll made me think crescent moon which made me think medialuna, which is spanish for half moon and also just so happens to be a breakfast pastry, sweetened with butterscotch, in Argentina and who knows where else! And then I was like... that's a blog post, whoot! So there you have it.

"I remember a day in class when he leaned forward, in his characteristic pose-the pose of a man about to impart a secret-and croaked, "if you don't know how to pronounce a word, say it loud! If you don't know how to pronounce a word, say it loud!" This comical piece of advice struck me as sound at the time, and I still respect it. Why compound ignorance with inaudability? Why run and hide?"
E.B. White speaking of Strunk in Strunk and White's timeless The Elements of Style

Today I'm feeling:

the pings of academia

No comments: