Friday, April 6, 2007

Gimme a sign


The East Village

Snow day!

Yesterday was my worst day ever as a teacher! I was so without focus or organization. It's back to the drawing board for me. So, with that in mind, I need to hear from YOU!

The young woman I tutor works extensive hours in the computer lab. She overnights it several times a week. But, she loves it! According to her, it's the only way she can log so many hours. And I believe it. But I'm jealous. I want something that I love that much where I'm compelled to try and improve and work. I want something that's so compulsive where I just can't stop working at it. That, I've easily come to realize, is NOT teaching. So, it's back to the drawing board.

What do I love? Travel. I think. No, I don't do it often. But I relish traveling. The few times I have been afforded the opportunity of a trip still languish in my mind. So I have a hunch that my life's work could quite possibly lie therein. But the dilemma is how to turn traveling into a fruitful career? I've thought about becoming a travel writer, but that industry is not a guarantee for me. I'd have to write the right pieces about the right places at the right times for the right people. It seems too hit or miss for me. And besides, what I find appealing is rarely appealing to others. I just wouldn't write the articles and books that people would want to read.

I could join the military, but I think I'm completely against the military. Especially the U.S. armed services.

What other viable options are there to try? I can't go on this way. Help me brainstorm. With that said, let the first open call for travel careers commence!

P.S. I was thinking, and it's quite humorous, the only person with a better story to tell from the other morning, than myself, is the neighbor fortunate enough to peer through his/her window at 4am to see me digging a grave in my front garden. Can you imagine?

Today I'm feeling:

the foul grip of despair

Anything yet?

2 comments:

kathryn merteuil said...

stuck in moment, travel definitely, but then again its necessary having a permenant spot, i guess,,, its what you make it to be.

Leila V. said...

Two words: Peace Corps. Travel while helping the less fortunate, talk about satisfaction. I'd sign up myself, but I'm too afraid to catch a disease in a remote location.