Saturday, April 14, 2007

Love, peace and nappiness


Cornrowed African art at the Met

Now that the whole Imus thing has completely blown over, let's quietly discuss it! Actually, it wasn't my intent to wait it out first, but I had that ferocious influenza thing taking my body by storm. But seriously, was it just me, or should the only group of people with the nerve enough to take any offense out of what the man might have said the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers women's basketball team? If I do recollect, he said they were unattractive. That has little to do with them being Black, women, or Al Sharpton. And furthermore, in this country we used to have the protections of free speech. I'm just saying. Imus, though not my favorite radio personality, should still have a job. I call people who may or may not be very intelligent, well rounded folks nappy headed hoes all the time. Imus clearly wasn't bashing women, as he had the wherewith all to call the Tennessee Lady Volunteers attractive! And that team has Black players on it too! And the Rutgers team has White women players. So it couldn't ever be a racially charged statement either. It was just sincerely an opinion as to the perception, by Don Imus, of beauty possessed by the members of two championship basketball teams.

Today I'm feeling:

nappy headed

You?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you look at the youtube video, when he made the "nappy headed hoes" statement, there were actually all black rutgers players and all white tenensee players on the court. I think he shoulda been fired because it was sooo out of context, and also being a person in his influential position, he shouldn't say things like that, as opposed to me or you saying it which our words wouldn't make a difference. But that is just my opinion professor...

Sean said...

And I'm glad you voiced your opinion too, although I disagree with you. Thanks man. It's out of our hands now anyways. Still, there's no place for this much censorship in our society.

Leila V. said...

I'm with too. It's not about censorship or free speech. It's about workplace conduct. Once you become more of a liability than an asset to your employer you gotta go.

Down with Whitey! Just not White women.;)