Friday, March 9, 2007

Paid the cost but ain't the boss


Illuminated Midtown building during a late February snowstorm, NYC 2007

Remember Rodney Dangerfield? The trademark bugged out eyes? The credo? "I tell ya, I gets no respect!" What made his brand of humor so appealing is the poignant relevance to our real lives. He made light of something that really hits home, far from the funny bone. Sometimes, when I give of myself I lack the insight to expect less in return. Therein lies the problem. I would certainly not be so nice, caring, reasonable, and benevolent if I knew the courtesy, even hypothetically, wouldn't be reciprocated. But it still surprises me every time I open a door for someone and don't hear "thank you." It still irks me when I say goodbye and get a resounding "click" in response. And it's most painful when you love someone and show it, especially when they'd like for you to do something with them, but wouldn't think twice about turning you down when you'd like them to do something with you. But then I have to take a couple steps back, sometimes to the side when my back's against the wall, and ask myself "why do I even try?" Why do I help, show up, come with, have come over, buy a snack or treat for, and sometimes just reassure others? Clearly, at some point, I'm only going to get snubbed. Why? Because one day someone is going to show me that appreciation in return and I just don't know who or when that is. So to that I say:

Be Prepared
Boy Scouts' credo

Today I'm feeling:

dissed

Thoughts? Comments? Really good recipes for incendiary devices? Do tell!

No comments: