Thursday, August 23, 2007

Entertainment Man



Okay, so this time around I have 4 movies on the docket.

I saw:

What would Jesus buy?, a low budget indie film produced (or rather financed/fronted) by Morgan Spurlock (of Supersize me fame). It wasn't exactly a thrill ride, but was a film with a different look into the world of consumerism. It gave us no real sense of why the Church Of Stop Shopping wanted us to not shop. The Church is a comedy ensemble that travels the country to perform and encourage consumers to do less consuming. It was funny at times, but mostly missed the mark. I'd recommend you all skip this one.

The Mist has got to have the world's worst acting. The screenplay was adapted from the Stephen King novel or story or what have you. The emotion is off center and the sentiment is never real. The effects and lighting needed some work and the only thing that redeems this film is its surprise and shocking ending. The characters never really endear themselves to you and it's hard to overlook bad acting. I'd recommend you all skip this one.

Love during the time of cholera was missing something. Someone in line for another movie I saw said that it would have been more authentic and better had it been in Spanish and I must say that I agree. With it all, I couldn't really tell where its heart lies. Is it a love story? A comedy? A drama? A chick flick? And it was so cheesy at times. Yucky! Still, it was entertaining, if less than wholesome. I'd recommend you catch this on late night cable in a couple years' time.

Beowulf was, well, Beowulf. It hearkened back to the bad 300 movie experience, except that Beowulf was great. It has a real epic story with soul, edge, sensuality, and direction. The dialog never grates and the art style really meshes well with this film. A true hero film with a man who projects himself as larger than life until things start to unravel and (potential spoiler) he has to admit, with a heavy heart, that he too is flawed. It's great in 3-D as it is in IMAX form as I'd imagine. It was a totally fun experience. Go see this thing.

Today I'm feeling:

Like Roeper

1 comment:

Leila V. said...

I loved Super Size Me, but Spurlock was a complete joke in his TV show "30 Days." His first day on minimum wage and he was in the emergency room because his forearm was sore.

And I can't believe I missed Jay Z on Charlie Rose. I love PBS because they get under the bullshit, I actually feel informed after watching Lehr on the Newshour or Rose.