Friday, August 17, 2007

You were all I need!



"Yes Boris!" Many years ago, I worked at Macy's here in Brooklyn as one of the guys who marked down prices. I would meander around the store, scan shit, and mark their prices down. It was monotonous and the pay was miserable, but it came with some outrageous perks. The team I worked for was afforded some long breaks, there was tons of overtime (which I didn't appreciate, but it was so far from home that when I just didn't want to be bothered with the long ride I stayed on the clock until I couldn't take it anymore). Fear not, I rarely worked overtime. I once went to the movies while on the clock. The funny thing is, my wage after taxes for those 2 hours barely covered the price of my movie ticket. Had I bought any snack, which I didn't, I would've been in the red for that number.

But the best perk of all, as a young man disillusioned by thoughts that I might one day make something of myself, was the opportunity to socialize. With all sorts of people. Mostly my Black people. I've come a little ways since then and, admittedly, see things in a whiter hue, if you will, now (I want to say "no prejudice" but I really would hate myself for lying). Still, this was important to the development of my thinking and personality. Anyway, one of the more personality infused characters that I had the opportunity of socializing with was a Jamaican named Boris. There's a heavy accent on the first syllable of his name. I still remember saying "yes Boris" with a huge grin every time I saw the man. He was always pissed about some thing. One over night shift we worked together, we walked up to a McDonald's drive-thru a few blocks away and Boris ordered a fish sandwich (he didn't touch the other types of dead animal). I don't know, the McDonald employees were having a tough night and didn't give poor Boris his fish sandwich promptly enough. I still chuckle to myself everything I recall what Boris did next. He didn't complain too loudly, just hocked and spat square into the face of the manager on duty. Go Boris.

Anyway, all that to say I kind of like the sound of the name Boris. There's also Boris Diaw of the Phoenix Suns and Boris Karloff, the horror flick actor of a few decades ago. Not a bad name. It's currently the most likely name I'd consider if I had to name a boy child. Maybe it's all for the best that I won't be naming any children, not in this lifetime.

On second thought, I don't really care for the name all that much.

"I'm in the middle of your picture"
Radiohead on All I need

Can't get this fucking song out my head.

Today I'm feeling:

like this brain of mine is all I need

No comments: