Thursday, May 31, 2007

Yo, yo!


Su all up in ya grill piece, while Sean wheels and deals

Okay, obviously I'm loving being behind a camera right now. But I recently asked myself:

"Man, what an amazing invention the camera is! Suppose it was never invented? And what are some other amazing inventions that allow for some amazing experiences?"

I came up with two which I feel are boons to man's existence. The first being the paper towel. In the "first world," we live good, don't we? One reason why we do so well, stay so healthy, get so fat is probably because we're more likely to avoid infection and disease. Am I right? And I think that one of the single most important allies to the fight against infirmity would happen to be the disposable paper towel. What do we use to wipe off that salmonella sitting on the counter top after seasoning the chicken for Sunday dinner? How about the implement used to wipe out that filthy mess you made while eating the cooked chicken at the dining table? C'mon people, don't take that Bounty for granted. Appreciate it. Don't waste it! Stay clean, stay healthy.

And then we have the black board! What a novel concept, right? Only, don't we take its invention for granted too? It's the most basic teaching aid that most of us learned off of many years ago. It facilitated class discussions to no end. Think about it, when teachers use overhead projection slides, and PowerPoint presentations, how much room does a teacher have to interact with his/her students? The teacher can't erase and show another, impromptu, example, for instance. Your teacher's visuals had a lot less color, but the interaction was certainly more malleable and conducive to learning. Also, with the blackboard, the teacher was teaching from the start instead of taking material already prepared and just reciting information. The info, via the blackboard, is presented at a more natural pace. It takes time for the teacher to write out everything and with that, the students are absorbing, if even vicariously. Students could actually come up to the blackboard and complete exercises. Can you do that on a new fancy projector. It only makes teaching lazy. If you ask me, this new shit is taking the teach out of teacher. I'm glad I was raised off chalk dust. When I got to college and saw all this fucking equipment in front of me, I got bored and my mind was no longer in the class. The teachers all appeared boring. Their lessons, though way more structured, lacked interaction. I have strong opinions in favor of the blackboard, let me tell you. In fact, I think I may have already done so.

Long live the blackboard dinosaur, cameras, and paper towels.

"...now the police/
got me in the middle of the streets/
tryin' to beat me blue, black and orange/
I'm like 'hold up, who you smackin' on?/
I'm only tryin' to eat what you snackin' on
'"
Jay-Z on Hell Yeah remix by Dead Prez

Today I'm feeling:

sanguine

Tell me you don't have a better appreciation for the blackboard today than you did yesterday!

3 comments:

Leila V. said...

What's a blackboard? Don't you mean whiteboard? You must be old.

And paper towels? Dude, it's all about Clorox wipes.

Sean said...

oh Leila, you poor thing. The Clorox wipes don't kill anything. I think CNN or Consumer Reports did a study. The only wipes that work are the Lysol ones. And you couldn't wipe your face with them. And the white board with the markers? I have so much marks from the markers on my clothes. Those things don't wash out. Disgusting. Give me some motherfucking chalk any day of the week! Church!

Leila V. said...

CNN? You mean you actually caught a news story between Anna Nicole and Lindsay Lohan! Damn, I must have been at work when that aired. Lysol it is, I go shopping tomorrow.