Friday, June 1, 2007

101



You know how some people have bad days? I'm having a bad lifetime.

Don't get me wrong, I love the subway. It's part of the reason why New York City can be so amazing. I just hate the people who work in the subway. And no, I'm not talking about the subway performers or the people who bust theirs to keep it clean. I hate the indignant people with any kind of authority or power in the subway whose job it is to make you a miserable automaton; the police and token booth clerks, being prime examples. I've run across a miserable token booth clerk who really took the cake in Toronto a couple years back. For that experience alone I'll try and fix things so I'll never be back to that crap hole of a city. So I can imagine the impression our token booth clerks give to visitors of New York. I'm telling you, they are the worst.

So there was a system wide issue that made it so that none of the Metrocard vending machines in the city could take credit or debit cards. I had no cash and the token booths just don't accept credit or debit either. So I was shit out of luck and my whole day was fouled up. You'd figure the token booth clerks would have enough compassion and let a broke man without a shred of cash through. Instead they insisted I look for a cash advance or some dumb shit, which would cost me more than a ride on the subway, to get some fucking cash. How crass? I asked two separate clerks in the subways stations I visited, and they both thought helping me was below them. But I remember who they are, what they look like and their disposition. Not that I know they'll get what's coming to them, but if I'm ever in a position to help these two individuals, they'll get reminded of this cruel misdeed of theirs.

Not likely to happen, I know. But this is a grudge I'm keen on holding.

"...and I know I shouldn't be drinking on an empty stomach/
but the flyer said open bar, I said 'fuck it'...
"
M1 of Dead Prez on Fucked up

Today I'm feeling:

Like I've got a bone to pick

Fuck a meanie!

2 comments:

Leila V. said...

Sean, it's understandable that you had a bad day, but why are you torturing your cat?

There's nothing worse than dealing with bitter, incompetent people in a position of authority, (if you could call collecting tokens that).

Sean said...

I love my kitty, I'd never torture her!

And they no longer collect tokens. Everything is all Metrocards and Metrocard vending machines. They
re being phased out.