Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Give me room


Biblical quotes/verses in the ghetto

Long day. In other words, don't see 1408. I went to a free screening near Union Square and the buggers at Dimension Films decided this was such a monumental release that they had to check bags and collect everyone's cell phones for fear that they'd let in the bootleggers or some dumb shit. I'm guessing that's because they know this is not a movie made for theatrical release. The movie is bad. Just plain bad. However, the screening was packed! I stood in the merciless sun for an hour and a half. I arrived two hours before the flick started, to wait in line. When I first got there, there may have been 30 people in line before me. By the time they started letting us in, there were probably about 115 in front of me, maybe more. What the F? I recommend waiting for the DVD and ordering it through NetFlix. It's just not worth your time, money and effort otherwise.

John Cusack plays some B-list writer who travels the country debunking ghost stories. His canned speeches may sound eloquent in the original Stephen King short story, but it sounds canned in a film. The same goes for Samuel L. Jackson as the manager of the Dolphin Hotel, Mr. Olin. Though Samuel does bring his usual flair and swagger to the film, his role is not big enough to carry this movie into hit status.

In all, I suppose it'll sell tickets, but it will fade from memory quite easily. Fans of the short story may want to ignore every urge to actually go see this thing. However, it still made the most of it; it didn't cost me a cent.

"...you let your man hype you/
to go against your idol/
knowing good and God damned well this is what I do...
"
Jay-Z on Dig a hole

Today I'm feeling:

buried

Really lethargic/fatigued. Far from intrigued. I don't even have that blog fire in me today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for the heads up on 1408, I was mad I didn't see that rather than Hostel 2, but I guess it didn't matter. With Hostel it took too long to set up the plot and when they had some semblance of a plot, the movie ends. There is no twist or turns, since we watched Hostel 1, we know how the movie goes, who the bad guys are, etc...

- Too Eazy

Sean said...

Sorry too, never saw Hostel. Sounds like the perfect horror movie premise. Travelers stuck at a hostel in a foreign land. The hostel gets hostile. All hell breaks free. But, never got around to it. I'm sure it's leaps and bounds better than 1408. Thanks for the commentary too. You the man!