Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A little more English



What has my life become? I'm teaching English as a second language and it dawns on me that I suck something terrible. I've realized this before, mind you. I just needed reminding. The problem with teaching where I "teach" is that there isn't enough meat on the bone. I don't mean monetarily either, though the pay is pretty slim as well. I mean the syllabus just lacks content and I'm no magician. I just can't find material; worthwhile, constructive, productive material to cover. I really do want to teach English, I just don't have it. I'm exhausted. Daily. Literally fatigued. Burned out. Burnt. Beat. I took solace in reading this. Man, I can almost relate. I like being in front of the class. I just don't like insulting the students by not having engrossing and productive activities to increase their English fluency. Some one throw me a bone.

"...don't get it twisted, I don't regret shit/
I don't remember but I don't forget shit, that's how the game go...
"
Buckshot on No way by Blackmoon

Today I'm feeling:

wrung

Who else feels extremely beat? What the f?

2 comments:

Leila V. said...

You're probably being too hard on yourself. You can't have been teaching that long, don't expect yourself to be teacher of the year right out the gates. Most classrooms are nothing like Stand and Deliver. Have you thought of inserting some sort of pop culture, like movies, or USA Today and their (or is it they're) fifty word stories?

Sean said...

I've never seen Stand and Deliver! Is it any good? There are 50 word stories in USA Today? Wowsa! Gotta look into that. Can you give me a brainstorm as to what I could do with a 50 word story? Leila, you're amazicating!!! Sounds promising.